Redevelopment Site 1
This 2.2± acre redevelopment site lies entirely in the PA Management Zone D and contains two buildings containing approximately 41,900 square feet. The site map reflects the completion of the proposed redesign of the front entrance to the property. The FMA expects to issue the RFP for engineering design services for the front entrance project in the next few months once coordination with VDOT is complete.
Building 87, also known as Randolph Hall, is located at 150 Ingalls Road. The building was constructed in 1932 and was converted to barracks around 1969. The front porch was enclosed in 1971. The slate roof was replaced with asphalt shingles in 1978.
Building 87 is listed as contributing to the NHL. The building encompasses 39,402± square feet on three and one-half stories with a finished elevated basement. The building was last used as the provost marshal office and enlisted soldier dormitory. The Master Plan identifies the likely future use of this building as residential, but the building may support other uses including hospitality, office, or retail.
Building 89 is a 2,575± SF non-contributing storage building located in the parking lot behind Building 87. The entirety of the building 89 is currently licensed on a month-to-month basis to private individuals and businesses. These licenses can be terminated or relocated prior to execution of the ground lease.
For the Site 1 parking evaluation, the FMA used an estimate of 1,100 SF per unit for the redevelopment of Building 87 resulting in approximately 37 units after the redevelopment. Using 1.5 spaces per unit, the required parking would be approximately 56 spaces. The existing parking lot contains 52 spaces, slightly below the estimated need. Building 89 could be removed and additional parking could be created within the proposed boundary of the site.